Here are two exercises we recommend that will improve your balance.
Exercise 1: Leg Stretches
Begin this exercise mounted at the halt. Safety reminder: Be sure someone holds your horse's head while you perform this exercise. Also, cross your stirrups over the pommel so they are safely out of your way.
1. Grasp the cantle of your saddle.
2. Begin with the left leg.
3. Lift your leg up slowly with your knee bent and heel down.
4. Slowly bring it out over your horse's neck as far as you can while keeping your seat centered in the saddle.
5. Carefully bring your left leg back over the horse's neck and down. Repeat with your right leg.
Exercise 2: Arm Rotation
Begin this exercise mounted at the halt. Sit with your back straight and legs relaxed. Safety reminder: Be sure someone holds your horse's head while you perform this exercise.
1. Hold your arms outstretched at your sides, parallel to your shoulders.
2. Sight along your left arm and slowly twist your upper body back to the right.
3. Continue to twist your body to the right until your right arm is straight out behind you and your left arm points straight out in front of you.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 while twisting to the left.